While driving down the road during a heavy rainstorm, the wipers on my CJ7 bound up and the driver side wiper shaft buckled the windshield frame. After doing some research, apparently the CJ7 windshield frames are weak (fixed by Chrysler in the 1987 and later Wranglers) and prone to this problem. The following is my fix. Only time will tell if it holds up.
Note the driver side wiper shaft position.
Note how the windshield frame has caved in to the right side of the wiper shaft embossing.
Using a two foot length of 1/2" all-thread, washers, and nuts, fashion a prying tool and secure it to the windshield frame. I used a layer of painters tape on the surface of the washers to protect the paint.
Double lock nut the tub side of the all-thread with a couple of fender washers, then tighten the nut on the outside of the windshield frame. I used another set of doubled lock nuts further out that I could get a wrench on to tighten. Then gently pry until the windshield frame is straight. You can check for squareness (shaft to windshield frame) with a right drafting triangle or a carpenters square. Be gentle with small corrections at a time so as not to crack the paint.
The linkages at both the driver and passenger side were bent. I used pliers and a vise to straighten them out. My bushings were not out of round. Otherwise I'd have replaced the bushings or the entire linkage.
Found some 2" fender washers with 1/4" center hole and secured them to this jig. I used a 2" diameter hole saw to cut "crescents" into two washers at the same time.
Used a free harbor freight tarp to mask the the windshield frame and set up my epoxy station.
Place the fender washers on either side of the windshield wiper shaft embossing and mark. Then sand down to bare metal. Sand the mating surface of the fender washers. I also wiped with alcohol.
Use J-B Weld original formula (higher PSI rating than quick set) on both surfaces and press into place aligning the "crescent" cut with the embossing and leave 24 hours to set.
I am using a 5/8" grade 8 washer to reinforce the back side of the embossing. You will have to cut the notch into the washer to accommodate the tab in the wiper shaft flange. I bathed the shaft pivots in Tri-Flow for a week and slathered all of the bushings with lithium grease as well.
This is the proper linkage orientation from the Jeep Service Manual.
NOTE: There is a little adjustment in the motor position. I moved it as far to the passenger side as possible to create a slight "bent knee" where all of the linkages meet on the driver side shaft.
Proper wiper arm placement per the Jeep Service Manual.
Decided on the Crown replacement arms in black this time (originals were gray). Did black wipers as well. I plan on coating both sides of the windshield with RainX to allow for water sheeting and as a lubrication for the wiper blades.
Hope this helps.